UEFA Final: Two Madrid fans die in Lagos


Two middle-aged men, who were said to be die-hard supporters of Real Madrid Football Club, on Saturday slumped and died during the Champions League’s Final between Real Madrid and Athletico Madrid when the former team failed to equalise the one goal at 90 minutes of the game.
The crucial final match between Athletico Madrid and Real Madrid on Saturday night had ended almost in favour of Athletico until Madrid broke the deadlock at 93 minutes with a header from defender, Sergio Ramos.
The two men, Mr. Olusoga Ogunbanjo, aged 39, was a refrigerator technician, while Mr. Bambo Sholeye, 42, was an employee of the Lagos State Waste Management Authority. The two fans were residing at Smith and Apatira streets, Lagos Island respectively.
PUNCH Metro gathered that Ogunbanjo, who was fondly called Soga by his friends, went to a barbing saloon shop located at Okepopo Street to shave and later sat among other people to watch the match in the shop.
The owner of the shop, simply identified as Mr. Danku, noted that the deceased was rushed to the Lagos General Hospital, where he died.
He said, “Soga came to shave and after shaving, he decided to watch the UEFA championship match between Real and Athletico and when the game had reached 90 minutes, and Real Madrid were still one goal down, there was tension everywhere that Real Madrid had lost the match.”
“It was another boy sitting beside Soga that noticed that he had slumped and raised the alarm. We quickly rushed him to the emergency section of the Lagos General Hospital where he was confirmed dead by a medical doctor on duty.”
Sholeye, who had also watched the match at a nearby shop left the place in frustration, lamenting the failure of Real Madrid to equalise the one goal scored by Athletico Madrid in the first half of the match.
He was said to have put up a chair at the front of their house and was still lamenting when he suddenly slumped and was taken to Lagos General Hospital, where the doctor confirmed that he was dead.
It was learnt that the remains of the two men were on Sunday morning buried on the Island by their respective relatives and friends.
The Lagos state Police spokesperson, Ngozi Braide, said the incidents were not reported at the police station.


The Box Ad

Popular posts from this blog