Fire guts 20 shops in Lagos market



No fewer than 20 shops were destroyed at Jakande Estate Market, Oke-Afa, Isolo, Lagos State, on Saturday night, after an electrical surge started an inferno.
PUNCH Metro learnt that property valued at millions of naira were lost to the fire which began around 11am.
Our correspondent learnt that there were up to 60 shops in the market, but the timely intervention of fire service men from the Lagos State Fire Service, helped reduce the damage.
Confirming the incident, the head of the state fire service, Razak Fadipe, said his men got the alert late, but were able to salvage the situation.
He said, “We were not informed on time. The fire was caused by an electrical surge and we were informed around 12am, by which time the fire was well alight.
“The first fire truck that was deployed got there around that time, and later, two 10,000 litres of water followed from our Ikotun and Isolo divisions.
“They were able to put out the fire and stop it from spreading to other parts of the market.”
He advised residents of the state to be vigilant, adding that there was need for overhauling of electrical wiring in the shops in the state.
Meanwhile, a middle-aged man, identified as Hammed Abas, has been electrocuted on Ajeigbe Street, Ojogbe, Ikorodu.
PUNCH Metro learnt that Abas, who was on a public transport bus, met his death after disembarking the bus and grabbing a live wire which fell on the road.
Fadipe, who was equally at the scene said, “He was in a public bus, when the high tension cable disconnected. It generated sparks which ignited fire along the road.
“Everyone was surprised when he went out of the vehicle and grabbed the cable. He was instantly electrocuted and died on the spot.”
Source :-  PUNCH
- See more at: http://gistreel.com/2014/05/26/fire-guts-20-shops-lagos-market/#sthash.V9kroRt7.dpuf

Comments

The Box Ad

Popular posts from this blog